Eastern Beauties, Variations

I love the versatility of Stampin’ Up!’s Eastern Beauty stamp set and matching dies. I posted two cards here, but have many more to go because … say it with me … there are so many variations in this set!!!

Here’s a quick sample of the different looks you can get simply by changing the paper color and size:

SU Eastern 849 white with diecuts DSC_0882

For this card, and the one below, I used the dies to cut various shapes into a cover card. On the white card base, I dabbed on various Ranger Distress Inks (Victoran Velvet, Tumbled Glass, Seedless Preserves and Iced Spruce), then layered the die-cut piece on top. The dots are from the Robins Nest.

Using a black cover piece gives a dramatically different look:

SU Eastern 849 black gelatos DSC_0891

(This card is a 4Bar (roughly 3 1/2 x 4 inches, smaller than the A2 size above).  I used the same technique, but using Faber-Castell Gelatos Highlighters in Starfruit, Dragon fruit, Clementine and Dry Ice. Nuvo Crystal Drops added some texture and a strip of glitter paper (Paper Source) added sparkle.

Here’s a detailed look:

SU Eastern black detail 849 DSC_0892

Thanks for stopping by! I have one more set of cards using the same stamps and dies, coming soon!

You Saw the Beginning … with Avery Elle

In my last post, I showed my first experiments using Avery Elle’s nifty Custom Panels die set, which has so many possibilities!

Here are more finished cards:

AveryElle 642 flowers celebrate DSC_0606

To finish this top-folding card I stamped and embossed (in white) two flowers and a butterfly (both from Stampendous!). One flower was stamped on vellum, the other flower and the butterfly were stamped on a patterned paper from Bazzill Basics. They were adhered with Tombow Power Adhesive Tags, which I like because they are clear and not too thick. I stamped Celebrate! in the lower right hand corner using black ink. A little Ranger Diamond Stickles was the finishing touch.

AveryElle 642 V with flowers DSC_0612

This one was fun to build. The thank you sentiment is from Technique Tuesday’s Smile Borders (A fun set that I will soon be using with a pull-tab die!), stamped in Marvy #12 grey ink (an oldie but still one of my faves). The flowers were punched using Tonic Studios flower punches on scrap cardstock and the leaves are from a new Tim Holtz/Sizzix punch. I just punched and layered, adding tiny Candy Fix and Stix 2 foam squares for dimension. I added some Ranger gold Liquid Pearls to some of the flowers, which I regret (although it looks a bit better in person than in the photo.)

AveryElle 642 side left  flower DSC_0614

Here’s the last of that batch! Whew! And a very simple card, indeed. Using a Spellbinders Rose Creations die, I cut the three smallest petal shapes, plus the leaves, from the Core’dinations Gemstones paper, held them together with a brad from Eyelet Outlet, and attached to the card using Pop Up Glue Dots.

Bear with me … just two more cards

AveryElle 642 white,gold scallops DSC_0610

First, I gold embossed on scrap paper, then cut three pieces using the pie shaped die. I stacked the pieces on the left side of the card. Ad a sentiment (Hero Arts) and bam! Done!
The chevrons are from Lawn Fawn backdrops, the text from Hero Arts Old Letter stamp. I believe the sentiment is also Hero Arts.

Last one:

AveryElle 642 baloon animal DSC_0586

First, I die cut a piece from white scrap paper using the Avery Elle curved die, then dry embossed it with a Cuttlebug pattern. (Tip: Die cut first so you don’t flatten out the dry embossed portion when you run the piece through the die cutting machine.) The balloon animal and sentiments are alsofrom Avery Elle. The balloon animal was stamped in a denim blue, fussy cut, and popped up with foam squares. The embellishment pieces were die cut with that same Avery Elle die and glued randomly.

That’s a lot of dies in one package! Check it out.

Fabulous Finds Friday — Punchy Petals

I love flowers! I don’t garden, but that’s okay, because I get my flower power from stamps and punches! Flowers bloomed all over the Craft & Hobby show, and I’ve been picking a few favorites.

Today I’ll show you some punched flowers. These simple blossoms are made using Tonic Studio’s duo flower punch sets. The sets come with two different flower shapes so you can mix and match — what fun!

Here are two quick cards I made using scraps for the flowers:

This were so fast to make. The flowers were punched from scraps of vellum, with clear gemstones in the center. The sweet birdcage stamp is from Unity Stamp Company, the pretty cardstock is from an old Hero Arts set.

The flourish stamp is from Hero Arts, the “thank you” was cut from the front of a recycled card. The flowers were punched from scraps and pearls were set in the center.

And here’s a pretty one found at Tonic’s CHA booth (note the nice dimension you get from layering):

…. and on a scrapbook page:

Thanks for stopping by! Next up, I’ll show you how McGill lets you create beautiful blossoms from a variety of lever punches.

Read more about CHA at www.craftsnthings.com. Click on the newsletter button (you need to register, which is free) and scroll down to my article on Hot CHA finds.